#DMUlocal is dedicated to improving health and raising awareness in hard-to-reach communities.
With so many people suffering from chronic and even life-threatening illnesses, there is a vital need for more information that helps people manage and prevent disease to be made available.
This is where #DMUlocal comes in.
As a result of #DMUlocal projects, community members have benefited from:
- Increased awareness about conditions such as diabetes and blood cancer
- Training to better deal with conditions such as dementia
- Information on preventative measures that can be used to reduce the risk of developing many illnesses
- Greater discussion of diseases such as cancer in isolated communities where it has become a taboo subject
- Schoolchildren learning first aid and what to do in an emergency
These projects have had a transformative effect on everyone involved and have not only raised awareness, but also helped to save lives.
- Helping to save the life of a woman with leukaemia after a Stem Cell drive
- Sharing the results of the diabetes project internationally to highlight the benefit of utilising DMU Square Mile volunteers
- Helping resolve the hearing problems of a six-year-old boy, who was getting into trouble at school for not paying attention
These life-changing events and many more like them have been made possible by a dedicated workforce of DMU Square Mile volunteers giving up their time to share their expertise with the community.
For this hard work, students can expect:
- Free training specific to their chosen project
- Transport to and from the volunteering location when necessary
- Ongoing support and assistance from the Square Mile team
- Recognition in their Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) when they graduate
- DMU Square Mile certificate to support achievements (this can be obtained after completion of the student experience evaluation)
If you would like to find out about other #DMUlocal projects, click here.