As part of De Montfort University Leicester’s (DMU) commitment to raise the aspirations and attainment of schoolchildren across Leicester, #DMUlocal has more than two dozen projects that place DMU student volunteers in schools to provide one-to-one mentoring and classroom support.
As a result of these projects, pupils in both primary and secondary schools benefit from:
- Improved attainment
- Increased confidence
- Higher-quality homework and course work
- Improved attendance, behaviour and punctuality
To achieve this, #DMUlocal utilises the skills of DMU Square Mile student volunteers who are committed and passionate about helping children achieve their potential.
Volunteers gain vital experience by being in the workplace and the opportunity to learn what they are capable of achieving.
DMU students who take part in an education project receive:
- Free mentoring training
- Free enhanced DBS check
- Induction and safeguarding training from the allocated school
- Transport to and from their volunteering or placement location when necessary
- Ongoing support and assistance from the Square Mile team
- Recognition in their Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) when they graduate
- DMU Square Mile certificate to support achievements (this can be obtained after completion of the student experience evaluation)
Not only is #DMUlocal working in schools to improve education across Leicester, but it is also providing a wide range of projects supporting community members with tasks such as learning IT skills and improving their English.
If you would like to find out about other #DMUlocal projects, click here.